Sea Turtle Awareness
Jupiter Dive Center has partnered with Loggerhead Marinelife Center to offer a Sea Turtle Awareness Specialty course! Sea turtles play a critical role in the health of our oceans. Learn about these fascinating creatures from the experts and then enjoy a two-tank dive charter and see them for yourself in their natural environment.
The Fun Part
It’s all fun! Jupiter, Florida has the second highest nesting population in the world. That means divers are likely to encounter sea turtles whenever they dive, but particularly from March to October during breeding and nesting season. Among the many things you’ll learn about sea turtles is how to identify the three species commonly found along the Treasure Coast—green, loggerhead, and hawksbill. A fourth species, the leatherback, also nests in the area, but is far less common.
Loggerhead Marinelife Center is dedicated to promoting conservation of ocean ecosystems with a special focus on threatened and endangered sea turtles. Jupiter Dive Center is pleased to partner with these highly respected leaders in sea turtle education, research, and rehabilitation to help ensure that the magnificent turtles we see today continue to delight divers well into the future.
What to Expect
- Learn the role sea turtles play in the marine environment
- Discover the issues sea turtles face
- Recognize the steps divers can take to protect sea turtles
Divers will begin their day at the Loggerhead Marinelife Center where experts will share their knowledge regarding sea turtles. Following the presentation, divers will meet at Jupiter Dive Center for lunch. Certified divers will participate in a two-tank guided dive where divers will focus on identifying the sea turtles they encounter, locating the types of habitat sea turtles prefer, and noting any visible human impacts affecting the sea turtles. After each dive, students will discuss their observations with their instructor. Divers who complete both the classroom and dives will receive a Sea Turtle Awareness certification.
- Class meets at 9:00 a.m. at Loggerhead Marinelife Center --14200 US Highway 1, Juno Beach, Florida
- A two-tank dive charter leaves from Jupiter Dive Center at 1:30 p.m.
- Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver certification required
- Class, boat charter, and lunch are all included for $199
- Equipment rental is available
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation between venues
- Students will receive a Sea Turtle Awareness certification
Your Next Adventure
Once you complete this course, you may also be interested in learning more about our resident population of goliath groupers. Jupiter Dive Center is proud to offer an exclusive Goliath Grouper Specialty course--click here to learn more!
What are you waiting for? Call (561)745-7807 now to reserve your spot!