Seahorse Distinctive Specialty with Jupiter Dive Center
Date: This PADI course is offered throughout the year!
Course fees: $309
Seahorses are intriguing, elusive, and—unbeknownst to many—found in our very own backyard! With a head that resembles a horse, an armored body, and a curled tail it uses to anchor itself in one place, these small marine creatures inspired their own ancient mythology—and are sure to spark your own stories after you see one while diving!
What to Expect
Seahorses are masters of camouflage. In fact, many divers fin right past them. It takes a keen eye and a solid foundation of knowledge to know where to look and how to distinguish a seahorse from the grasses and habitat it’s hiding in. And you can be that diver! Seahorses are fascinating animals and differ from other fishes in appearance, locomotion, and reproductive duties. In this course you’ll learn about the different types of seahorses, what habitats they frequent, their diets, the animals that hunt them, how they reproduce (and who cares for the brood), and the current conservation efforts that are in place and what you can do to protect them.
After registering for the class, students will meet their instructor at Jupiter Dive Center to complete the coursework. Then it’s over to Blue Heron Bridge in Phil Foster Park to complete two open water dives accompanied by your instructor. These shore dives are tide-dependent and the dive times will vary depending on the specific day. Blue Heron Bridge is home to some of the most fascinating sea creatures in Florida—including seahorses!
What Do You Need?
Students must possess a basic scuba certification to take this specialty course. The open water dives will be at Blue Heron Bridge and each diver must have their own dive computer. Enriched Air certification is recommended, but not required.
- The Seahorse Distinctive Specialty is available throughout the year
- Students meet at Jupiter Dive Center at 10:30 a.m. for instruction and will complete two shore dives at Blue Heron Bridge (time is determined by tide)
- Divers must present their scuba diving certification card at check-in
- All divers must have a dive computer
- Need tanks or equipment? Jupiter Dive Center has tanks and basic gear for rent, and specialized gear for purchase
- This course requires a minimum of two students—or you can schedule this class “your way” for an additional $100 fee
- Book now by calling (561) 745-7807 or click here!
Your Next Adventure
Once you complete your Seahorse Distinctive Specialty certification, you may be interested in checking out our dive vacations—Bonaire, Mexico, and the South Pacific are all homes to seahorses and places we’ve traveled! Click here for more information.